Incorporated in 1870, Arnaudville
was named after Jacques Arnaud from Jausiers, France. Arnaud first settled here with his family at the junction of Bayou Teche and Bayou Fuselier. The town is nicknamed La Junction.
Arnaudville and Jausiers, France (1995)
Town of Leonville
Settled in the early 1800's by free men of color and incorporated in 1911, this town was named for Leon Mistric, an early inhabitant of the area.
Town of Port Barre
Incorporated in 1911, Port Barre
was originally settled by Charles Barre in 1765. The town became an important port on the Bayou Teche. The community is known as the “Birth Place of Bayou Teche.”
About 3000 years ago the Bayou Teche was a main channel of the Mississippi River. It runs from its headwaters in Port Barre to Berwick where it flows into the Atchafalaya River. Its first travelers were American Indians who origianally named it tenche, or snake. It was later traveled extensively by steamboats and ports were located along its shores trading in cotton, sugar cane, and cypress. For residents of southwest Louisiana, steamboat travel from the upper Teche to Morgan City, and then on to New Orleans and other ports was common until the 1880's when the railroad came into existence.